Saturday, July 13, 2013

Shame on you not me

I was sexually abused at the age of 8. I write about this because the matter was brushed under the carpet for fear that it would go against me. I feel no shame in what happened as it was not my fault. The abuser, although a criminal went unpunished and I was asked to hush up. Can I be given a logical reason why shame is reserved for the abused and not the person who actually commits a crime?

Young boys/girls, men/women who get sexually abused are very prominently flashed across our TV sets and newspapers. Where are the culprits? Should they not be brought into attention who disgraced themselves by committing heinous crimes? When a man or a woman is raped, they are not the ones who are stripped off any dignity; it is the criminal who should be dishonored and humiliated .


How are the abusers being punished? Are they sentenced? Are they publicly denounced? Are their effigies being burnt with the same hatred as those corrupt political leaders?

Girls and boys as young as 4 years old are raped brutally and disposed off. How many times are the criminals denounced in print/TV or public?
As long as the indignity will be reserved for the victim, no abuser can be accounted for. There is no dishonor for a victim and they should not suffer any humiliation for an act they did not commit.


Some of my friends, boys and girls alike went through sexual abuse/incest at some point in their lives. Some young children out there are still suffering from such crimes and being scarred for life. Why they continue to get abused is because we reserve the blame for the victim and not the abuser.

 I say bring out the eunuchs, beat out the drums and place them at a public forum where they can be told shame on you for what you did!


No comments:

Post a Comment